Friday, January 25, 2013

The Big Tex and Sierra Nevada Dinner was AWESOME!


Chillin' with Chef Slick Rick in the Big Tex kitchen. He rocked it!
(Photo by Mike Moore/AllWays Open Creative)
Oh man, I had an awesome time at the Big Tex and Sierra Nevada Beer Dinner last night! Besides the intimate setting in a secluded room in the back of Tex's restaurant I'd describe as "rustic-hip," the dedication, culinary expertise and time Chef Rick Watson and crew put in to perfectly (yes, perfectly) pair fare with Sierra's wondrous brews had to be documented. So, without further ado, check out what about twenty foodies and beer lovers indulged in. Do not miss the next one, trust me!

Warm, lightly salted roasted almonds set the stage for some serious grubbin' and sippin'! And then came the first taste...

First Taste
Amuse Bouche
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
(Yep, delicious! We're off to a great start!)

Course 1
Ovila Golden with Champagne Platter including Kumamoto Oyster, Caviar Toast Point, and Bacon Deviled Egg
Sierra Nevada Ovila Belgian Style Golden
(Effortlessly, all three tastes complemented each other wonderfully. Everyone was really digging the Ovila as well, especially if they had it for the first time. I reluctantly didn't drink the whole glass remembering all of the heavy hitting sippers that were coming up, plus saving room for three more courses on deck.)

Course 2
Ruthless Rye with Rueben Dog- Corned Beef Sausage, Rye Bun, Russian Dressing, Gruyere Cheese, Jalapeno Kraut
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
(Whoa! Big Tex killed it with this one. I was in shock when I found out this was not a regular menu item. I strongly suggest they consider it. One of the best dogs and 'kraut I've ever had and I'm from New York!)

Course 3
Porter with Oxtail- Braised Oxtail, Fried Cauliflower, Pickled Shallot, Sweet Onion Rice
Sierra Nevada Porter
(That tender oxtail brought me back to my Jamaican roots, the sauce was perfectly spiced, and the pickled shallot was a nice touch. Another winner!) 

Course 4
Narwhal Imperial Stout with Hazelnut Mocha Torte-Hazelnut Meringue layered with Rich Chocolate and Espresso Cream
Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout
(Yep! As I suspected in the prior posting, this dessert was superbly decadent! By this time, we are all very conversational, full, and most importantly, blown away. Oh, and if you love imperial stouts, grab a Narwhal 4-pack. Now!)

Night Cap
Desert Amuse Bouche
2008 Bigfoot Barleywine Ale vs. 2012 Bigfoot Barleywine Ale
(Ahhhhh, a rolled cutlet and gourmet cheese went perfect with the potent Bigfoot challenge my homies and Sierra Nevada reps Dave (above) and Lance posed. There were no losers in that battle. Both were gangster!)

I'll say it again: Don't miss beer dinners. Especially ones involving Big Tex and Sierra Nevada!

Cheers!

Ale
SHARE:

ALE MAX Returns to Fuse Craft Beer & Sneaker Cultures!

Yup! It's that time again! Ale Max Day , the event put on by my boy Craig and I, will be in its second year, and it's going to be an...

© Cruisin' For A Brewsin'
Blog Design by pipdig