Where are you kickin' it for St. Patty's Day?
Guinness, green beer, Harp, Smithwick’s, live music, plus the customary meat and potatoes with all the fixings are going to be served up leading up to one of everyone’s favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day. Here are some of the many restaurants, bars and even bakers throwing down in celebration for the day of green. I will have more on deck but let’s get the ball rolling! As usual, I do my best to let you know what’s going on throughout Atlanta and even outside the perimeter, so here’s what I stirred up so far on what’s going on. From food specials to cupcakes made with SweetWater's Exodus Porter, and drinks sold for a few gold coins, wear your green and party with some leprechauns all freakin’ long!
Smallcakes' "Porter Me Up" Cupcake
Green beer's got nothing on Smallcakes' "Porter Me Up" cupcake - a St. Patrick's Day collaboration between the The Cupcakery and SweetWater Brewing Company. Cupcake lovers and beer aficionados will both enjoy this delicious combination of Smallcakes' signature Chocolate Cake and Butter Cream Frosting infused with SweetWater's Exodus Porter. The "Porter Me Up" cupcake is available for a limited time for just $3 at Smallcakes stores in Buckhead, Marietta, Valdosta and Woodstock through THIS Sunday, March 17. Pretty sweet, huh?
Fadó Irish Pub
Fadó Irish Pub in Buckhead is also ready to help celebrate St. Patty’s Day to the fullest with different activities, food and drink specials leading up to the big day.
· Tuesday, March 12: Whiskey Tasting with Tower Beer, Wine & Spirits – Irish whiskey or Uisce Beathea is known as the “water of life.” Fadó Irish Pub is teaming up with Bushmills and Tower Beer, Wine & Spirits to dedicate an evening to the “water of life” starting at 7 p.m. For $39.95 per person, guests will enjoy a selection of Bushmills whiskeys accompanied by small bites and appetizers. Some of the pairings include cheese puffs with Bushmills Original, slow roasted pork belly with Bushmills 16 year and bleu cheese lamb sliders with Bushmills Blackbush. The evening will be hosted by master of whisky, Kevin Mulcahy. Seating is limited for this event and tickets can be purchased here.
· Wednesday, March 13: St. Patrick’s Irish Pub Quiz – Hosted by popular Quizmaster Rob, the St. Patrick’s Irish Pub Quiz starts at 8 p.m. Teams can compete for prizes, including passes to St. Patrick’s Day, while enjoying a menu of authentic Irish food and beverages including corned beef and cabbage, fish and chips, a traditional boxty entree along with pints of Guinness, Harp and Smithwick’s.
· Thursday, March 14: “Lucky Pint” Night – The Guinness will be flowing on Thursday night from 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. when guests have a chance of ordering a “lucky pint” of the iconic Irish dry stout. Patrons who find a sticker on the bottom of their pint glass will receive free tickets to the St. Patrick’s Day party on Sunday.
· Friday, March 15: 12th Annual St. Baldrick’s Event – From 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Fadó is hosting the family-friendly charity event to raise money for childhood cancer research. The restaurant sets up barber chairs and encourages “shavees” to commit having their heads shaved there on Friday, March 15. These “shavees” get family and friends to sponsor their head shave with monetary donations in order to raise funds for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. St. Baldrick’s is a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and giving survivors a chance long and healthy lives. As a company, Fadó has helped generate $700,000 in donations since 2004 and this year the Atlanta pub hopes to raise another $125,000.
· Saturday, March 16: “St. Practice Day” – Day one of the two-day festival begins at 10:30 a.m. for the exciting final round of the RBS 6 Nations Rugby tournament. Featuring a full day of matchups including Italy vs. Ireland, the pub grants rugby fans access to a reserved viewing area for all three of the day’s matches. Starting at 6 p.m., the outdoor festival features traditional Irish rock music from Paddy & Marty, U2 cover band Desire and entertainment provided by Irish dancers. A DJ will spin tunes beginning at 10 p.m. Pre-sale tickets are available now online for $5 and $10 at the door.
· Sunday, March 17: St. Patrick’s Day – The weeklong activities come to a festive finale on Sunday with the biggest celebration in Atlanta. Doors open at 7 a.m. so guests can show their Irish spirit all day long. The party moves outside at noon for a street festival featuring live music, traditional Irish dancers and bagpipers performing for the crowds. Desire, Andy Birdsall, Secret Sauce, and Astral Freaks (Van Morrison cover band) are all set to perform outside for eager partygoers. Pre-sale tickets, which sold out quickly last year, are available now online for $10 and tickets will also be sold for $15 at the door.
· Guests can also purchase a two-day pass for Saturday and Sunday for $15 online. Fadó is also offering guests who sign up for thenewsletter a chance to win a four day, three night trip for two to Dublin, Ireland. The prize package includes airfare, hotel stay and a VIP tour of the Guinness Brewery at St. James Gate. The drawing will take place on Wednesday, March 20 and participants must be 21 and over to enter.
Fadó Irish Pub is located at 273 Buckhead Avenue in Atlanta. For more information about any of these events or how to purchase tickets, call(404) 841-0066 or visit fadoirishpub.com.
The Wrecking Bar
Even if you're not Irish you'll be dancing a jig if you join us Sunday, March 17. We'll be serving the following specials:
· Potato, cabbage and vegetable soup, with Irish soda bread
· Pork cheek stuffed cabbage rolls
· Corn Beef and Cabbage with cabbage, turnips, baby carrots, new potato and toasted fennel jus
· Sheppard's Pie with White Oak Pastures ground lamb
· Pot De Crème with Irish cream
Plus we'll have Irish Coffee, Irish Car Bombs made with Irishman Single Malt Whiskey, Irishman Cream and Jemmy Stout and plenty of beer (not the green kind) to wash it down.
The Wrecking Bar is located on 292 Moreland Ave, Atlanta, GA 30307. For more information, call 404-221-2600; wreckingbarbrewpub.com
Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill & Brewery
Max Lager's Wood-Fired Grill & Brewery continues its 15th anniversary celebration through Tuesday, March 19, with special retro-inspired lunch and dinner menus all week. Enjoy 1998 beer prices during Retro All Day Happy Hour THIS Friday, March 15; Irish menu specials and casks of the award-winning IMOS-Imperial Mocha Oatmeal Stout and half-priced Georgia Craft bottles THIS Saturday, March 16; and Beer Judging 101 along with dinner specials and beer pairings on Monday, March 18. For more information CLICK HERE or call 404.525.4400.
10th & Piedmont, HOBNOB Neighborhood Tavern and Gilbert's Cafe & Bar
St. Patrick’s Day is also going on in Midtown with Irish-themed specialties. 10th & Piedmont, HOBNOB Neighborhood Tavern and Gilbert's Cafe & Bar are all serving green Miller Lite beer for $3, Lucky Leprechaun cocktails for $6 and corned beef brisket with mashed potatoes, braised cabbage and Pommery mustard for $13.95. All three restaurants will have the special as well as their regular menus. For more information, visit communitashospitality.com.
Atkins Park Restaurant & Bar
Atkins Park Restaurant & Bar in Smyrna is partying all weekend long for the holiday with Smyrna’s St. Patrick’s Day Festival. On Saturday, March 16 and Sunday, March 17, leprechauns and guests alike can join the restaurant as Mayor Max Bacon dyes the fountain green and live music plays. A redhead contest, carnival rides and plenty of delicious food will be offered at the Irish fest. Tickets can be purchased in advance for $5 or at the door for $10.
On the other side of town at Atkins Park Restaurant & Bar in Virginia-Highland, Irish favorites will be offered. Guinness and Magners Irish Cider will be served as well as bites of traditional Irish fare.
For more information, call 770-435-1887 for the Smyrna location and 404-876-7249 for the Virginia-Highland location, or visit atkinspark.com.
Look for Part 2 coming soon!