Monday, July 1, 2013

Renowned professor says beer belly is a myth!


Photo of Professor Charles Bamforth by  UC Davis Magazine
 Esteemed UC Davis Professor Charles Bamforth gives news we can stomach!

Whaddup fellow sippers?

I know I have been M.I.A. the last week or so, but your homey Ale has been traveling nonstop, including a stay at the Pinehurst Resort in Pinehurst, North Carolina, and just recently San Diego for a week (look for my coverage of some awesome beer spots soon!). In the meantime, a recent article caught my eye regarding the infamous beer belly being a myth! 

Eeeeeeeeeeeew.
I get asked about beer causing that infamous midsection bulge a lot, and particularly regarding why I don’t have one being the imbiber that I am. Well I always say the constant workout plan to maintain my "two-pack" certainly helps, plus I am a pretty picky eater. However, I like to boast how beer has less calories than the majority of other alcoholic drinks per glass. It’s more about the amount of consumption and the typical bar food served with cold ones which tends to be pretty damn greasy, fried, and yes, unfortunately delicious! Anyway, I came across this recent article posted in a slick, beer-friendly website I write for called FirstWeFeast.com which was more than happy to include the claim by Charles Bamforth, a professor of food science and technology at the University of California Davis and revered beer expert for decades, who says:

"The beer belly is a complete myth. The main source of calories in any alcoholic beverage is alcohol. ...There's nothing magical about the alcohol in beer, it's just alcohol.”
-         Professor Charles Bamforth

While Professor Bamforth is also an Anheuser-Busch endowed professor of brewing science, facts are facts. Plus, simply put, UC Davis is popularly regarded as the top brewing school in the country. To add, Dr. Aliyah Sohani—an alcohol researcher at Massachusetts General Hospital—also chimed in. "You are drinking [beer] in more quantities than wine or liquor, so you tend to have more caloric intake," Sohani says. "You are talking about a difference between several hundred calories a night and a couple hundred.” See the rest of this article here.

So does this say to chug away and sell your treadmill on craigslist.com? Absolutely not. I am just giving you some more conversation while you sit at the bar and order a Unibroue La Fin Du Monde...and a spinach salad.

Cheers!

Ale
SHARE:

ALE MAX Returns to Fuse Craft Beer & Sneaker Cultures!

Yup! It's that time again! Ale Max Day , the event put on by my boy Craig and I, will be in its second year, and it's going to be an...

© Cruisin' For A Brewsin'
Blog Design by pipdig