Zymurgy Magazine Announces 2017 “Best Beers In America” and Bell’s kicks major ass!
My American Homebrewers Association homies just announced the results from their Zymurgy Magazine 15th annual Best Beers in America survey.
For eight straight years, Russian River Brewing Company’s world-renowned Pliny the Elder double IPA had been running things at the number one spot, but Bell’s Two Hearted Ale IPA breaks the streak and becomes 2017’s most gangster beer in America according to Zymurgy’s thousands of homebrewing posse members. Whoa!
|Photo by Bell's Brewery.|
In AHA’s official press release, director Gary Glass says, “As homebrewers, Zymurgy readers have more refined palates than most for tasting beer. The Best Beers in America survey reveals which beers are leaving the biggest impression on the minds—and mouths—of these discerning beer drinkers.”
Survey participants voted online for their 20 favorite commercial beers “available for purchase” in the United States in an online voting system.
Bell’s CEO Laura Bell, the daughter of the brewery’s founder Larry Bell, says in the same release, “This is an incredible honor for us. We got our start as homebrewers—that’s how my dad got going—so we really identify with the homebrewing community. We take a lot of that spirit into what we do today.”
Representin’ Kalamazoo, Michigan, Bell’s also won the top-ranked US brewery and came in second to Stone Brewing for the best beer portfolio as well. Even Ice Cube didn’t have as good a day as this! The top ten rankings of the three categories are below and are posted in full here. Congrats to everyone who got recognized in the survey!
Top-Ranked Beers (T indicates Tie):
1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. Founders Breakfast Stout
4. Three Floyds Zombie Dust
5. Bell’s Hopslam
T6. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
T6. The Alchemist Heady Topper
T8. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
T8. Sierra Nevada Celebration
10. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
1. Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Comstock, Mich.
2. Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, Mich.
3. Russian River Brewing Co., Santa Rosa, Calif.
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Chico, Calif. and Mills River, N.C.
5. Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Richmond, Va., and Berlin, Germany
6. Firestone Walker Brewing Company, Paso Robles, Calif.
7. Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
8. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Milton, Del.
9. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, Calif. and Chicago, Ill.
10. Ballast Point Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
Top-Ranked Beer Portfolios (T indicates Tie):
1. Stone Brewing (31 beers)
2. Bell’s Brewery, Inc. (27 beers)
3. Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (25 beers)
4. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. (24 beers)
T5. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (22 beers)
T5. Lagunitas Brewing Company (22 beers)
T7. Boulevard Brewing Co. (21 beers)
T7. Founders Brewing Co. (21 beers)
9. Avery Brewing Co. (19 beers)
T10. New Glarus Brewing Co. (18 beers)
T10. Odell Brewing Co. (18 beers)